Friday, April 10, 2009

Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull

Rating: 5 out of 5

I currently have a personal ban on library books while I worked on Mt TBR however when Rise of the Evening Star came in I dropped everything and disappeared into the books depths with a contented sigh. I loved the first book in the Fablehaven series, which I read before I started blogging so I do not have a review here. However if you wish to read a review from my bookshelf has a great review here and is the reason I picked up Fablehaven in the first place.

In the second book Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven to help their Grandparents over summer break. The sanctuary which is for magical beings is under threat from the secret organisation The Evening Star.

I devoured this book in 24 hours; I just could not put it down. It just sucked me in like the first book did. There is a wonderful humour infused through the book and the action is fast past and exciting. I especially like the mythology developed in the world of Fablehaven.
"Kendra ran to the side of the pool. By the time she arrived Seth was boosting himself out of the water, hair and clothes dripping. “That was the freakiest, awesomest, moment of my life!” Seth declared. “But next time, let me take off my shoes ” "
This series is really interesting and the characters of Kendra and Seth are very well developed and believable. We get to learn more about the world of Fablehaven, and the people who protect the other sanctuaries around the world.

I don’t want to say too much and give the story away as this is a series and certain elements and plots are brought over from book one.

Definitely worth a read if you like Young Adult books that deal with magic and adventure.

1 comment:

  1. I ordered this series for my middle school library. I'm sure the kids will love them and I plan on reading them too!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete