Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts

Rating: 4 out of 5

To be honest I was not sure what expect with this book. Mum assured me it was not some silly girly romance thing which I was convinced that was all Nora Roberts wrote. Well I surprised myself it was not just a girly romance, and I enjoyed it.

Blood Brothers is a curious mixture of everthing. It really did cover everything there was action, romance, humour, horror, thriller and a dash of mystery. All of this blends together to form an interesting book. I liked the pacing of this book and the development of the story even if there were a couple of obvious plot developments (well to me they were obvious).

The character Quinn was enjoyable to read and my favourite. She is vivacious, witty and a can-do attitude. Her job is pretty cool as well reporting paranormal weirdness in small picturesque towns.
“It slithered across the glossy oak planks of the floor, leaving a hideous trail of bloody ooze behind it. At first she thought snake, then slug, then could barely think at all as she watched it slide up the legs of a table where an attractive young couple were enjoying cocktails by candle light.”
The only problem I had was the occasional switch of perspective. It seemed a little jarring and I did not really see the point of switching mid narrative and then back again, nothing was really gained story telling wise at least not that I could see. However the story was well paced and interesting enough to over look the occasional switch in perspective.

Onwards to read book two which seems to continue the story from the character Fox’s perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for stopping by to read my review of steamed. As for your question about Pudgy, hard to tell in an avatar but my guess is he is just your garden variety Adelie. Of course he is my beloved sidekick and that should set him apart from any other penguin. Fairy penguins, aka, little blues have a blueish cast to the back and flippers. Don't they have them in Australia? I'd love to see some for real and not just in pictures. The Boston Aquarium was going to get 4 of them but we had to move before seeing them. Probably won't get back there for who knows how long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything of Nora Roberts (although I have read three of her J.D. Robb books). I am glad you enjoyed this one, Caspette, despite the minor flaw. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaye - Thanks for the clarification. Either way he is still a cutie!

    Literary Feline - I might try her sci-fi detective series next and then work up to those girly ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review as well as the comment on my review of The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I am new to reviewing so need all the input I can get.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete