Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Willbee the Bumblebee by Craig Smith

Rating 4 out of 5
Publisher: Scholastic New Zealand
ISBN:1869439430
EAN: 9781869439439
Age Range: 5-9 years

Fan's of Wonkey Donkey will love this story. This is the story of Willbee the bumblebee

Kids get to learn about insects in the garden and the bee's role in it. At first I thought "uh oh here we go a chance for the author to lecture children on environmental issues" but it doesn't feel like that at all.

The book was illustrated by Katz Cowley again. Craig Smith and Katz Cowley have collaborated on a few books now and I have to say her illustrations just make Craig Smith's story leap from the page. It is a great pairing.

We have the ipad app version of this book and my son loves it. The app isn't super animated it really is just the illustrations and the author reading (or singing) the book. You can record your own voice and have that read to your child.

I must confess I do not like the song. It annoys me. I prefer reading the book and in the case of the ipad having the narrator read it.

Book Brief
  • Rhyming
  • Educational (insects, environment)


No comments:

Post a Comment