Monday, March 17, 2014

The Last Girl by Michael Adams

Rating; 5 out of 5
Title: The Last Girl
Author: Michael Adams
Series: Trilogy
File Size: 2398 KB
Print Length: 252 pages
Publisher: Allen & Unwin (September 25, 2013)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00FD9L3LS


Summary
Everyone looked like bad actors in a poorly dubbed movie. Their expressions didn't match their emotions and their lips didn't sync with what they were saying. But they were all so loud. God-he-looks-hot-Can't-she's-my-best-friend-How'd-she-lose-that-weight-No-don't-you-dare-Oh-no-please- The end of the world happens in the blink of an eye. When The Snap sweeps the globe, everyone can instantly hear everything that everyone else is thinking. As secrets and lies are laid bare, suburbs and cities explode into insanity and violence. What might have been an evolutionary leap instead initiates the apocalypse. Sixteen-year-old Danby Armstrong's telepathy works very differently. She can tune into other people but they can't tune into her. With only this slender defence, Danby must protect her little brother and reach the safety of her mother's mountain retreat. But it's 100 kilometres away and the highways are blocked by thousands of cars and surrounded by millions of people coming apart at the psychic seams. Danby's escape is made even more dangerous by another cataclysm that threatens humanity's extinction. And her ability to survive this new world will be tested by a charismatic young man whose power to save lives may be worse than death itself.

I had been struggling with a recent book from a favourite author. I thought my reading mojo was gone. I needed a break, read something different, so this book was sitting on the top of my bedside table so I thought "why not". It came highly recommended by Books and Musings From Downunder. So I started it one evening and finished it the next day. And it was good, oh so very good.

This book is gripping, fascinating, shocking, horrifying and intense all in one go. Unlike most post apocalyptic books, where they are set well after the main event that changed society forever; this book is set as it happens. We get to see the world as we know it completely fall apart. As you can imagine this can make for some not so fun moments.

The concept is refreshing in that its not a virus, war, or zombie apocalypse. Even though it was full on times I liked how the author explored this topic.

Danby is a believable character and her reactions to scenarios thrown at her were logical. I will be interested to see if Jack is her saviour or captor. Is he good or evil? He is definitely creepy, practical, smart and possibly crazy.

This book raises some interesting issues that people in that situation might face. Who to save and who to leave, morals and survival, where do you draw the line and where do you cross.

On a totally shallow note I didn't care much for the cover.

I would recommend this book as a good read for anyone who likes the post apocalyptic genre. I can't wait for book 2 in the trilogy to come out.

A final cautionary note, there are some very full on scenes when society is falling apart. This could be distressing to some. It definitely made me uncomfortable and teary in one case (I am sorry I do not want to say more without spoiling the story). Themes of suicide, paedophilia, terrorism, murder as well as other violent crimes do get mentioned and discussed. It only lasts really for the first 1/3 of the book but when I use the word intense I really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment