Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cookiebot!: A Harry and Horsie Story by Katie Van Camp


Rating 4 out of 5
Age Range: 4 - 8 years
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (May 31, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061974455
ISBN-13: 978-0061974458

This is another story discovered through the show "Bookaboo" (have I mentioned we are Bookaboo addicts around here?).

Harry and his toy friend Horsie want cookies. But they are way out of reach on the fridge. The solution? Build a robot.

My son of course loved this book for one reason and one reason only. The robot. OK and maybe the cookies. But mostly the robot.

There is a lot to enjoy about this book. The story exciting, and full of adventure. As an adult I love the King Kong reference in there. Kids will love the naughty robot and the cookies. But ultimately the story is sweet and leaves you feeling good.

The main themes explored are active imagination, and problem solving (building a robot to get a cookie is totally logical).

The illustrations are fascinating being in an retro style more common around the 50's (roughly). I have no idea what the style is called but any art history people (hint hint Tasha) feel free to let me know as I am curious.

I believe this is the second book in the Harry and Horsie series. I am keen to check out the first book which is apparently set in space.

I would recommend this book to anyone with little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment