Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

Rating: Loved it! 
Reading Age: 13 and up
Publisher: Pan; Main Market Ed. edition (15 Jan. 2015)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1447256239
ISBN-13: 978-1447256236

Summary
Irene must be at the top of her game or she'll be off the case - permanently... Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. And along with her enigmatic assistant Kai, she's posted to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find her book. Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own. Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake.

Well I am not sure I could gush, rave, totally fan girl out any more about this book. I dont even know where to begin with this review I just really enjoyed this book. Easily, hands down, top of the list for favourite book for this year.

A world where you can live in a library, travel to other dimensions, and collect books (borderline steal, ok not so borderline, but its for the good of literature across the universe  and preserving the book). Did I mention LIVE IN A LIBRARY? Do I really need to say more?

Ok perhaps I do. One aspect I really liked about this book was a the world the author had created. A central library or world that links other worlds through books. The Librarians collect (sometimes steal) special books that can only be found in that universe, and strengthens the ties the library has to that world. 

I enjoyed all the characters, though dragon boy seemed a bit scattered sometimes. Perhaps this is because he was in a human shape and couldn't really control his emotions in that form? I am not sure but emotionally he seemed scattered (that is the best way I can think to describe it without being spoilery). 

Irene is a good heroine being smart, quick thinking, and not a damsel in distress (by this I mean perfectly capable of doing stuff until the cute male lead comes along and then suddenly seems rendered incapable of getting stuff done). She has faults and quirks, and is by no means perfect, but she doesn't fall into the cliched role of "bad ass heroine until cute guy comes along to save her". She gets stuff done and has a job to do, don't get in her way or distract her with your pretty boy looks.

As I mentioned above this is probably at the top of my list for favourite read of the year. I enjoyed this book that much. I and so much fun reading it and was disappointed when it ended. However I console myself with the fact a second book is out around Christmas and I have preordered it!


No comments:

Post a Comment