Thursday, December 18, 2014

Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillian by Richard Roberts

Rating 3.5 out 5 stars
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1586 KB
Print Length: 374 pages
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press (14 February 2014)
Sold by: Amazon Australia Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00IH0KG1S

Summary:
Penelope Akk wants to be a superhero. She's got superhero parents. She's got the ultimate mad science power, filling her life with crazy gadgets even she doesn't understand. She has two super powered best friends. In middle school, the line between good and evil looks clear.
In real life, nothing is that clear. All it takes is one hero's sidekick picking a fight, and Penny and her friends are labeled supervillains. In the process, Penny learns a hard lesson about villainy: She's good at it. 
Criminal masterminds, heroes in power armor, bottles of dragon blood, alien war drones, shape shifters and ghosts, no matter what the super powered world throws at her, Penny and her friends come out on top. They have to. If she can keep winning, maybe she can clear her name before her mom and dad find out.

Initial Thoughts: What a fun little book.

I really did enjoy this young adult book about a tween discovering she has super powers and super villain ones at that. It was a fast paced, with lots of humour moments that made me smile. 

The character Penny was likable and so were her two best buddies and fellow super villains. I tell you what they made being a super villain cool. Also don't get me started on her awesome science lab/lair, every teen should have one.

My ONLY gripe is I find it extremely difficult to swallow that her parents especially her mother, who is a super villain hunter who can detect lies, and is highly respected and feared because she is just that good; Had no idea her daughter was a super villain or in anyway involved. I mean the fact her daughter created a pretty awesome robot and then these super villain kids turn up with mechanical gadgets doesn't even make her go hmmm. Also maybe I am old fashion but who leaves their 13 year old kid alone at home for a week?

But I still really liked this book and especially enjoyed that for once it was told from a super villains point of view. The tween angst of Penny dealing with the fact she clearly wasn't going to be a super hero like her parents was an interesting touch. But the humour involved in the story made it fun. 

I would recommend this book for a read especially for tween girls and I will be more then happy to read the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment