Friday, October 3, 2014

The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe book 2) by AmbelinKywamullina

Rating 5 out of 5
Age Range: 12 and up
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Candlewick (April 8, 2014)
Series: Yes, book 2
Language: English
ISBN-10: 140635340X
ISBN-13: 978-1406353402

"However this ends, you're probably going to find out some things about me, and they're not nice things. But, Ash, even after you know, do you think you could remember the good? And whatever you end up discovering - try to think of me kindly. If you can." Ember Crow is missing. To find her friend, Ashala Wolf must control her increasingly erratic and dangerous Sleepwalking ability and leave the Firstwood. But Ashala doesn't realise that Ember is harbouring terrible secrets and is trying to shield the Tribe and all Illegals from a devastating new threat - her own past"

It's not often I say this but I think I enjoyed this more then book 1 (The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf). This book continues from where book 1 left off, only Ashala's number 2 is missing. Now as this continues the story and a lot of story development is revealed I am struggling to review this book without revealing some big spoilers. But I am confident I did it without wrecking the book.


How much did I like this book? well I managed to read this book pretty much in 24 hours, which these days, between kids and work and other stuff, is a good time for me. I mean we don't need dishes to eat from right? I even stayed up way past my bed time, and I am an early to bed kinda girl.

But this story sucked me in and just as my body was giving up on me and I thought "one last paragraph then I will go to sleep" and bam a big reveal and yup I kept on reading. How do you put it down after a reveal like that? I had-to-know-what-happened-next. 

The story development here was neatly balanced with action and adventure. It was fast paced but managed to reveal a lot of information without feeling like you had been studying for you science exam. I found Ember simply fascinating and I hope we learn more about her in the future.

This book again tackles the issues of equality, diversity, and acceptance and it shows how awful humanity can be when they fear something they don't understand. But also how good humanity can be when they embrace and accept an idea or culture.

I don't think I can recommend this series enough. If you like dystopia then I strongly urge you to read this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment