Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Rating 4 out of 5
  • Paperback: 512 pages
  • Publisher: Back Bay Books (October 16, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0316098809
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316098809

Summary
Myfanwy Thomas awakes in a London park surrounded by dead bodies. With her memory gone, her only hope of survival is to trust the instructions left in her pocket by her former self. She quickly learns that she is a Rook, a high-level operative in a secret agency that protects the world from supernatural threats. But there is a mole inside the organization and this person wants her dead.

As Myfanwy battles to save herself, she encounters a person with four bodies, a woman who can enter her dreams, children transformed into deadly fighters, and an unimaginably vast conspiracy.

Well with a summary like that I knew I had to read it. I was fascinated with the concept. I am happy to report I was not let down. The book was heaps of fun to read. I found myself laughing out loud and eagerly turning the pages wanting to know what happened next.

The book was action packed, with a bit of blood and guts. The descriptions though were not super gory or over the top just enough to make you go eewww.

The letters start to get a bit much. There is a fair bit of information dumping in there and it is a convenient way to tie in some story lines. Towards the end though the information in the letters were a bit pointless to me, didn't really reveal much and could have been revealed in different ways with a lot less er words. While I can see this annoying some readers, it didn't really phase me and I didn't mind all the back story even if it was convenient.

For me that is a mark of a good book when you see the flaws but you don't really care.

This was a page turner and I enjoyed every minute of it. I cant wait for book 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment