Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Death Cure (Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner

Rating: 4 out of 5
Title: The Death Cure
Author: James Dashner
Series: Trilogy - Book 3
Reading level: Ages 12 and up
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0385738773
ISBN-13: 978-0385738774

Synopsis
Thomas knows that WICKED can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. To complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare. What Wicked doesn't know is that something has happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what WICKED says. The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.


Lets start with the end. There is a positive ending which is nice after the carnage of the three books. I wont say anymore then that.

Now the carnage, wow Dashner just went a little nuts here. The carnage is on par with almost any end of the world movie, if you have that mental picture then you have a pretty good idea of the massive scale of death and destruction in this book. Also warning not all of our heroes make it. Not sure if I was happy with their demise but it made for some interesting reading.

This book reveals more of the world outside of The Scorch and the society that is left behind. As well as about Cranks and the disease The Flare.

The reader gets some answers and it wraps up some story threads. I would like to have known why WICKED originally decided to take the path it did with research. It seems odd that a persons brain patterns maybe the reason why they are not susceptible to a viral illness? I believe there is a prequel floating around and maybe my questions about WICKED are answered there.

Is Brenda who I think she is? OMG I am positive I know who she is and her secret. It's killing me I can't say anything or I might ruin the book. But if she is who I think she is, then well played Mr Dashner, well played.

Potential spoiler alert (while this isn't a big spoiler there is a little spoiler) For me some more questions were raised. I wonder if there will be more written about it. For instance what/how/why did the cranks, who allegedly turned into mindless zombies, organise a revolt? and target a city?
The trilogy as a whole was a good one. There is quite a bit of violence which maybe off-putting to some. But for the target audience (teenage boys) I think this would be a big win.

No comments:

Post a Comment