Thursday, November 15, 2012

Holiday Reading Wrap Up


Well not a bad effort out of 11 books flagged to read I got through 6. An impressive effort considering most of our days were filled with sight seeing and lounging around pools and beaches. But there were also two long haul flights which gave me plenty of time to read.

The holiday was fantastic even though we had a tsunami warning issued on our second day in Kauai! Thankfully for our holiday and the people of Hawaii no tsunami eventuated (well technically it did but I believe the biggest wave was something like 78 cms).
  1. Hourglass by Myra MacIntire
  2. The Death Cure by James Dashner
  3. Dodger by Terry Pratchett
  4. The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court by Michelle Moran
  5. Blood Storm by Rhiannon Hart
  6. The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsly
  7. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
  8. The Wanderer by Pippa Dee
  9. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
  10. Bossy Pants by Tina Fey
  11. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
So Dodger got a partial strike through because I started it, three times, and have still failed to make it past the first chapter. This is not promising. It also makes me sad because I adore Terry Pratchett and I would hate this to be another book of his I struggled with (I am still technically reading his other book co-authored with Stephan Baxter but gotta say it's a struggle). Terry Pratchett + historical fantasy should equal a WIN for me but so far it has only come up with a meh.

Has that ever happened to you? a book you know you should like with ever fibre of your being and yet, despite all your best efforts, you don't?
Blood Storm gets half a strike through because I started it but did not finish reading it in time. But man I am enjoying it so much it wont be long till I do finish it. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the banter between Zeraphina and Rodden.

My two biggest surprises where The Shadowy Horses and Seraphina. Both just had me staying up late immersed in the worlds and loving the writing style and story being told. They were also new authors for me.

I am now slowly working through writing all my reviews. I might have to start sneakily doing them at work so I don't fall behind. The "guts" of the reviews are there just need to polish and refine. 

So watch this space for some new reviews coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment