Monday, October 22, 2012

Holiday Reads


Well this week we will be having a family beach holiday. It will be ten days doing as little as possible and just enjoying lots of family time....hooray! But there are two (departing and arriving) long haul flights eek but plenty of time to sit and ready double hooray!

So naturally tippy top of my priority list is sorting out what books to read. Luckily all my books are ebooks so I can take a variety and see where my mood takes me.

Here are the books I have planned to read roughly in the order I will read them:
  • Hourglass by Myra MacIntire
  • The Death Cure by James Dashner
  • The Dodger by Terry Pratchett
  • The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court by Michelle Moran
  • Blood Storm by Rhiannon Hart
  • The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsly
  • Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
  • The Wanderer by Pippa Dee
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
  • Bossy Pants by Tina Fey
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
While the first five novels are pretty much locked in place everything else will be "what do I feel like reading today and how much time do I have". I doubt I will get to all of them but I am going to give a darn good try. I think I am most excited about Terry Pratchett's The Dodger,  Michelle Moran's The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court, and The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsly both are completely different.

The Shadowy Horses has archaeology, ghosts, romance and the Scottish country side. Do I need to say any more to sell you on this book? Oh The Eclectic Read wrote a fabulous review which lead me to the authors website where I read the first chapter and I was totally sold. I have high hopes for The Shadowy Horses. This is my new author read and slightly out of my comfort zone.

Michelle Morans book is set in Napolean's court and told from the point of view of Marie-Louise his second wife. I didn't even know he had taken a second wife and I love that this is set during a time I only know vaguely about. I have become a big fan of this writer and am so excited to read her new book.

Pretty sure I don't have to say why I am excited about the new Terry Pratchett book. He is my all time favourite author. He could have written a book about dirt and I would read it.

I like to use holiday time to try  something a bit different, a bit out of my comfort zone. The Shadow Horses kind of fits that bill for me this time. Last time I read a new author I discovered Michelle Moran whose first book I read was Madame Tussaude and I haven't looked back (her historical fiction is fantastic). Also I have in the past used it as my time to re-read favourite books. For a long time Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and any Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett were firm favourites I read time and time again.

What is your top pick for a holiday read this year? Or what has been your all time favourite holiday read?

No comments:

Post a Comment