Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ten Little Fingers Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Reading level: Ages 0-2
  • Board book: 38 pages
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-13: 9780143503583

First Sentence: "There was one little baby who was born far away. And another who was born on the very next day. And both of these babies, as everyone knows, had ten little fingers and ten little toes."

Another delightful book from Mem Fox for babies and toddlers.

Using a rhyming, repetitive, lyrical style. Fox takes the reader on a journey about babies. She is very good with this style of writing and certainly the books I have are wonderful. It makes them easy to read, and your child can follow the story easily as well.

The author also teaches about diversity and tolerance. That even though the babies in the book have different back grounds they are all the same having ten little fingers and ten little toes.

The illustrations are sweet and simple. Helen Oxenbury gives the babies so much character on the pages. The colours are simple and lean more towards pastels in shades, but very nice all the same.

Anecdotally I have heard this is a very popular book amongst toddlers. My son certainly enjoys it. In fact when I showed him the video which I have added below (which doesn't have pictures from the book unfortunately) he sat there riveted.

So here is something a little different. This is a video of the author "singing" the book. It doesn't have any images it is just the story, but it is still an interesting way to present the book.

2 comments:

  1. Gage loves to be sung to so that may be a great way to introduce this book! Another great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacy.

    I must admit I had never thought of singing this book. But the story makes it very easy.

    My little guy likes it being read to him. He is not so keen on my singing. Which is fair enough to say I cant sing is actually giving me some credit. My signing ability is BAD lol.

    ReplyDelete