Sunday, June 21, 2009

Spring Reading Thing 2009 Wrap Up

Well Spring in the Northern Hemispehere has offically come to and and end and with it the Spring Reading Thing 2009 Challenge. The challenge is run from 20 March-20 June 2009 and is hosted by Callapidder Days. It is a fun no pressure challenge where you set the goals and boundaries. Thanks to Callapidder Days for hosting this event. I still cant believe how quickly those three months went.

My goal was to read 12 books, completed books are in red:

Demon's Are Ghouls Best Friend by Victoria Laurie
Brisingr By Chirstoper Paolini
The City of Ember by Jeane DePrau
The Murderers' Club by PD Martin
Princep's Fury
by Jim Butcher
Valiant
by Holly Black
Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts
Halfway to the Grave
by Jeaniene Frost
Dog on It
by Spencer Quinn
Undead and Unwed
by Mary Janice Davidson
Triskellion
by Will Peterson
Plain Truth
by Jodi Picoult

Out of those 12 I managed to read 10 so I am pretty happy with that. Only made one change to the list and that was Fan Mail to The Murderers' Club by PD Martin. That was only because the one I had originally listed was in fact the third book in the series not the second like I thought.

Challenges I managed to make slight (seriously slight) inroads into was the Support your Local Library Challenge (1), Young Adult Book Challenge (1), and Cozy Mystery Challenge (1). I think I need to sign up for supernatural type challenge as currently I would blitz it with all the supernatural type books I have on Mt TBR.

All up from March – June I read 19 books which is not to shabby. I did not want to alter my list in anyway if possible so there really was no reason why I should not have finished reading all twelve books. In my defence in that period I had some library books took priority and a couple of books in my list were part of a series and I got caught up reading those. Also I kept forgetting what was on my list when selecting the next book to read.

My favorite read for the Challnge is a toss up between Princeps' Fury by Jim Butcher and Triskellion by Will Peterson. Jim Butcher is one of my favorite authors and I love the Codex Alera series. Princeps' Fury did not dissapoint and was an amazing addition to the series. Triskellion is a YA novel and a new author for me. I love the x-files vibe the book had going. I will certainly be looking out for the second book coming out.

I had fun doing this challenge and will definitely be participating next year. However next time I need to put a copy of the list that is somewhere easy for me to remember what is on it in the first place.

8 comments:

  1. LOL... I claim credit for coining the phrase Mt. TBR (even if I didn't make it up, I'm claiming it anyway)

    So, you didn't read Brisingr, then. Well, better luck this summer on it. It's the only one on your list I have read, though I do have Demons Are a Ghoul's Best Friend on Mt. TBR :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 out of 12 isn't bad! I'm with you, I always post my list and then halfway through I forget which books I had picked for the challenge lol. It was fun, hope to see you for the Fall Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more time to read!!
    I envy your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! And reading 19 books from Mar-Jun is most definitely not shabby. Thanks again for being part of Spring Reading Thing '09!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on doing so well with the Spring Thing Challenge, Caspette! I can relate to your desire to sign up for a challenge to match your TBR pile. :-) I've done that in the past too.

    I haven't read the Jim Butcher's Codex Alera you mention yet, but I want to. I'm addicted to his Dresden Files series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, well done, that's some really good, varied reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone.

    Literary Feline - I will always encourage people to read Jim Butcher he rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't mention what you thought of Undead - I read one of the series and didn't care for it but wondered if others were better. Great job with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete