Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday's At The Movies - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen


Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Starring: Shia LaBeoug, Megan Fox
Director: Michael Bay
Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy
From Netflix
Unlikely hero Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf), his foxy girlfriend, Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox), and the tough Capt. Lennox (Josh Duhamel) return to assist the Autobots in another epic battle against the evil Decepticons in this supercharged sequel to the 2007 megahit. Blockbuster impresario Michael Bay brings his trademark pyrotechnics to the proceedings, while comic whiz Rainn Wilson joins the cast as a college professor.
Two simple words. IT ROCKED. You may have guess by now I am a bit of an action junkie I love those films so I'm probably a little predisposed to saying something favorable. But really this was so much fun!

I was worried this would suck along the lines of Matrix 2 kind of suck. But it didn't. The cinema was packed when we went and everyone seemed to really enjoy the film.

One of the biggest surprises is they slipped in a lot of humor. There were these twin robots (whose names escape me) who were just a riot and this little Decpeticon robot who made you crackle in laughter every time he was on screen. I really though thought this would be more action and explosions but it wasn't.

The story here was pretty good for an action film. It flowed reasonably well, made as much sense as a movie about robots from space can and tied the action in. I have heard some critics bag the film story wise but come on what were they expecting? this is a live animation based on an 80's cartoon about alien robots, were they really expecting Oscar award winning writing?

The minor quibbles I have is the ending seemed a little drawn out. Seriously how many scenes of the boy and girl running through exploding sand can you have? It just got to point where I thought "yea yea wrap it up move it along". Also it bugged me that the Pyramids of Cairo Egypt and The City of Petra in Jordan where basically a half hour drive a way from each other. I'm guessing Geography was not the directors strongest subject in school. Oh and not enough Josh Duhamel, and come on no shirtless shorts! really? that guy is spunky!

But the action and computer graphics are really why you see this movie and they were awesome. The live actors were integrated almost flawlessly with the cgi. It was very impressive.

Definitely a movie to see at the cinemas. We liked it so much we are going back this week with a friend.

Popcorn Rating: 5 out of 5

This meme is hosted by A Novel Menagerie

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you liked this one. I would like to see it, but I think it'll be on DVD before I do. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are DYING to see this. Glad you gave it a good rating! We'll go this week to escape the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know, can't wait to see it now.

    http://busyatthemovies.blogspot.com/2009/09/ghost-of-girlfriends-past.html

    ReplyDelete