Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday's At The Movies

This week there were no movies at the cinema I wanted to fork out dollars for. We did however gets some DVDs of movies we haven't seen.

Twili
ght
I finally caved and decided to see what the fuss was all about. Strangely I was actually hoping to like this movie and then it would give me an excuse to read the book. But that did not happen. This movie was boring.

Firstly the directing was not fantastic. Some scenes felt like they still needed to be edited, they just lacked oomph of any kind. The swirly choppy camera work in the forest (when Bella tells Edward she knows what he is) made me feel ill from dizziness.

The characters were awkward and the interaction was not particularly engaging. I did not like Bella much she was to gloomy and boring. The vampires were the most interesting but the least explored. The actors were quite well cast though, and they all did a decent job.


But what was with Bella being so pale? is she like that in the book? we thought she was a vampire as well at first or dying of some nasty illness.

I guess put simply I was bored by this movie. It didn’t really inspire anything in me and I was glad to hea
r a couple of work mates say they thought the movie was boring too (and one said not much like the book. Will take his word on that).

Marley & Me
I thought there was little hope for this movie. I loved the book and I am not a fan of movies based on books (especially when I have already read said book). A lot of the time they end up nothing like the book and leave me massively disappointed.

Marley & Me I thought did a pretty good job of balancing the need to follow the book and the need to keep audiences watching. There were some things added and some things taken out, and other parts lightly skimmed over (like the miscarriage and the post natal depression) but I can understand why the directors did what they did. Also one of the biggest pluses for me was despite noticing the differences I didn’t care I could enjoy the movie for what it was.

It was funny and sad and captured the essence of the book. The focus was more on Marley’s interaction with the Grogans rather than John Grogans inputs on life. And even though I KNEW what was going to happen I was still a blubbery quivering mess by the end of the film.

Slumdog Millionaire
Wow is all I can say about this movie. It was recommended by the other half’s mother and it was there so we got it. I was engrossed almost from word go.

Slumdog Millionaire is an amazingly clever film that tells its story in a unique and fascinating way.I loved how it wove the story of a boy growing up in the slums to the game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. If you haven’t seen the film I won’t say more than that so I don’t ruin it.

The actors are really well cast and the script for the movie is intricate without being to clever. The director also did a good job with this film. The cinematography was also brilliant and beautiful. Everything about this movie just clicked for me.

I have not read the book so can not compare the two. But if it is anything like the movie I imagine it would be an amazing book.

This movie certainly deserved the 8 oscars it won including best movie. I loved it.

This meme is hosted by A Novel Menagerie

5 comments:

  1. Well, I have reviewed all of these films at A Novel Menagerie, as well. We agree on all three! I know!?! What is up with the pasty whiteness and ruby lips? Gag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book Twilight, and thought the movie was just okay. I agree about the directing - I'm hoping that with a much bigger budget and a more experienced director, the sequel will be a better movie. Oh, and in the book Bella is pale - the scene where the girl asks her "Aren't people from Arizona supposed to be tan?" was taken right from the book. It was a bit overdone - as was her acting. All the gasping and fast blinking by Bella drove me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Slumdog Millionaire. I read Twilight, but didn't really like it enough to see the movie. Saw half of Marley & Me on a plane trip over the weekend and loved the dog (s)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to pick up the award I gave you at www.bookbirddog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marley and Me is one movie I will not be seeing. It's not a book I ever cared to pick up either. I'm sure I would love most of both--but it's the ending I would be unable to take.

    Slumdog is a wonderful film, isn't it? The book is different in many respects although some parts are similar enough. It really is like reading and watching two completely different stories though.

    ReplyDelete