Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday's At The Movies

Well I am back to watching movies at the cinema on cheapie Tuesdays. The local cinemas deal of $9 movies when you book online ended at the end of March. Oh well it was good while it lasted and saw a tone of films at the cinemas I might have otherwised passed on.

Monsters vs Aliens
When a meteorite from outer space hits a young California girl named Susan Murphy and turns her into a giant monster, she is taken to a secret government compound where she meets a ragtag group of monsters also rounded up over the years. As a last resort, under the guidance of General W.R. Monger, on a desperate order from The President, the motley crew of Monsters is called into action to combat the aliens and save the world from imminent destruction!
Well before I get started I should make it known I love animated films. If it is animated I am there with bells on, so not sure how balanced my review will be.

Now on to the review, put simply I LOVED this film. It was so much fun. The animation is awesome, the voice actors are well cast, the script is kinda standard to these family films but still good, and finally it is funny. I was able to pick the voices of Hugh Laurie and Reece Witherspoon but completely missed Kiefer Sutherland. Fun Fact for the Aussies reading this, David Koch lent his voice to an Aussie Newsreader.

My partner and I were not the only ones who liked the film either. When we saw the film there were a lot of kiddies in the audience (school holidays and we went to a day session) and they were absolutely laughing themselves stupid.

Blob and Missing Link were my favorite characters who had me laughing myself stupid too.

If you have the opportunity to see this film in 3D which I believe is only in selected IMAX cinemas, I recommend seeing it in 3D. There were a couple of scenes in the normal movie you could tell were done specifically for the 3D audience and would have looked amazing. This did not ruin the film for the normal cinemas but when those scenes occoured I thought "that would have been really cool in 3D".

Anyone with kids should definately see this at the cinemas or if your an animated movie nut like me just go anyway.

This meme is hosted by A Novel Menagerie

4 comments:

  1. I actually want to see this one and UP!

    I'm crossing referencing your post via Mr. Linky!

    Thanks for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you didn't mis-spell it, I DID! I was, 30 seconds after you, inputting your link as well! Anyway, it's fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering about this movie. :-) I don't have children but my husband and I do enjoy animated films now and then. Thanks for the great review, Caspette!

    ReplyDelete